After many years of diligent planning, the Diocese of Paterson is restoring the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Downtown Paterson. This work is a testament to Bishop Arthur Serratelli's ministry of bringing new life and support to the mother parish of our diocese.
The church of St. John the Baptist dates back to 1865, with its Irish roots under the guidance of Bishop James Bayley. The architect was to be the renowned Patrick Keely, who designed many of the great cathedrals and churches in the Boston area.
The Peragallo family has been servicing this instrument for almost our entire history dating back to John Sr. electrifying of the Henry Urban pipe organ, originally located in choir loft. John Jr. oversaw a full scale rebuilding of the instrument in the 1950's. Paterson Diocese was always among the cutting edge in gathering its musicians and Wesley Geisler of St. Joseph Church in Paterson organized an extensive organ concert series in the 1970’s featuring many of the local artists.
Along with John Jr., John III and Frank Peragallo relocated the organ to the front of the Cathedral under the tenure of Bishop Frank Rodimer and a new French terrace console was built to serve the expanded tonal specifications. That organ was dedicated with a gala concert given by Dr. David Messineo.
The pipe organ will be re-relocated in the balcony and enclosed in a new oak casework. The balance of the organ's approximate 50 ranks of pipes will be completely cleaned, refurbished and re installed on the reconfigured instrument. The entire instrument must now be redesigned to allow the windows featuring the recent American saints to remain visible in the new design. This work is being coordinated with the present Diocesan Music Director, Mr. Preston Dibble.
A new chancel organ will be installed to provide a choral resource in the sanctuary of the Cathedral. This organ will be divided on either side of the new baldachino.
We look forward to bringing forth this instrument to serve our hometown parish. St. John's Cathedral has been the home to many of our family members who have celebrated their sacraments there over our 100 year history.